[AT] Corn Shellers?

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Wed Nov 3 00:55:32 PDT 2010

Grant,

I'm not sure if the full ear hand crank corn shellers can be adjusted for the size of the ear. I have a parts List for a JD version
but I don't have an Operators Manual so am unable to look it up. But I would like to share an experience my DAD had the one and only
time he raised a field of Popcorn. 10 or 20 acres or so.  He could sell the unshelled ears to Jolly Time Popcorn in Sioux City, IA
so shelling wasn't going to be a problem. But it was. We had several 100 acres of regular field corn which was harvested by a JD 227
two row mounted corn picker. He tried to use that same corn picker to harvest the popcorn. The snapping rollers unfortunately
shelled some of the ears just snapping the ears off the stalks and then to add insult to injury the husking rollers did some more
damage.  The pop corn ears were just enough smaller that they were not the right fit for the corn picker. We spent many hours
manually picking up the ears that didn't make it through the corn picker on to the wagon and obviously lost a lot of shelled
kernels. He never planted popcorn again.

I don't know how you plan to harvest the ears but you might want to consider harvesting the corn the way they do in the Midwest.
Find a local shelling combine set up for corn harvesting with a sickle head rather than a snapping roller set up. I assume there are
a few of those in the San Joaquin Valley somewhere.  However, some of the sheaves/screens might even have to be changed for popcorn
on the combine.  Surely, you are not the only one in the area raising pop corn.

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA

Change occurs "when the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change!"