[AT] 8020 Antique

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Mon Nov 1 10:05:48 PDT 2010

    There are a few misstatements in this story. The 8020 was a follow on to
the 8010 which was first produced in 1957 or 1958. I was privileged to see
the first 8010 tractor in Ohio at 1958 Case Farm-O-Rama near Richwood, Ohio.
The Walton-Case families were big farmers there and had close working
relationship with John Deere Company and hosted this show for several years.
Russell Case bought the 8010 and used it on the Walton-Case farms for
several years. This tractor originally had a fully mounted 7 bottom
moldboard plow that lifted completely off the ground when raised from the
furrow. Russell's wife, Meriam, drove the tractor regularly and when turning
at the end of the field, the plow extended quite a distance behind the
tractor and swung directly behind the tractor. Meriam was known to misjudge
the length behind her and destroyed a few telephone and electric poles.
Fences were not a problem as the plow raised high enough to clear the
fences. The 7 bottom mounted plow was  traded for a 6 bottom semi mounted
plow for the second year.

    My good friend, Jim Gillfillian worked on the Walton-Case farm for
several years. I have driven this tractor several times and ridden with Jim
even more times. The tractor was upgraded to 8020 specs some time in the
early 60's by John Deere. I don't know if the Walton family still has the
tractor. They reduced their farming operation considerably in the early
70's. This would certainly be a valuable tractor today.

                        Gene