[AT] Woods mower repair question

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat May 15 13:21:30 PDT 2010

I've got a Woods 72-3 (same as M72-3) single spindle brush cutter.  A piece
of wire cut the lower seal out of the gear box a while back and I've been
running it with JD cornhead grease in the box since but it's time to rebuild
it.

Looking at the parts breakdown I don't see what tensions the bearings.  It
looks like the output shaft just drops in and sets down on the lower bearing
and then the input shaft bevel gear holds it in place.  Is that correct?
Seems like there should be someway to set the gear set up and tension the
bearings on both shafts.  What am I missing?
I want to be familiar with it before I tear it down.

Thanks

Charlie

=======
http://www.pctools.com/