[AT] [POSSIBLE SPAM] Re: OT - Concrete

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue May 4 03:57:07 PDT 2010

charliehill wrote:
> Dave,  I agree with what you said but I think you are assuming this concrete
> was poured in a quality controlled situation and my experience is that
> residential driveways usually aren't.  You are still probably right but it's
> hard to be sure.
>
> Charlie

When we poured the floor for my 40 x 100 bldg, I had spec'd 3500 psi low
slump and added polymer to make it pour easier for the contractor.
Contractor was a good friend of my Dad's, and really a good contractor
also.  He had a couple of guys come in to help with the pour.  They had
50 gallons of water added to each load...  Concrete cracked every 8 ft.
Even with control cuts.  Contacted the concrete company (largest in OK)
they said no guarantee because water was added at the site.  As an
engineer who had worked on multi-million dollar projects, I wanted the
contractor to tear it out and redo it...   My dad who had loaned me the
money to build the building would not hear of it, and told me I should
not have added that %$#&&&^ polymer.  The polymer was to make it easier
for the contractor so he would not have to add water to get it to flow.

Go figure.

Never borrow money from family.  /A bank would have made him take it out...

Cecil in OKla