[AT] Power steering for small tractors

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun May 30 09:52:56 PDT 2010

Watching a hotrod show today I became aware that a lot of smaller cars these
days use electric power steering assist.  There are also aftermarket units
available for hotrods.  I'm wondering if that wouldn't be a good retrofit
for some of old tractors.  It would require the tractor electrical system to
be 12 volt and in good working shape but the units are small and could
easily be added to the steering column on a lot of our tractors.

Has anyone tried it?  I'm sure some of the cars use sophisticated, computer
controls on them but I suspect the aftermarket unit for hotrods and possibly
some of the production stuff is just an electric motor version of an old
hydraulic power assist box.

Any opinons or experiences?

Charlie Hill