[AT] Empire tractor

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Thu May 27 05:20:19 PDT 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:01 AM, Ralph Goff <alfg at sasktel.net> wrote:
> George I've heard of the Empire but never seen one in real life. Sounds like
> you had a patch up job on that hood. I had a similar thing happen to the
> Massey Super 90. One of the  previous owners must have got tired of lifting
> the hood to re-fuel it so he just cut a hole in the hood over the fuel
> filler. Did the same over the radiator cap. The guy we got it from had
> patched it up. Nothing fancy but its better than the holes. From a few feet
> away you can't tell it was patched.
>
> Ralph in Sask.
===============================

I cut a hole in the hood of my SMTA years ago. I didn't use a hatchet
like some guys seem to do. I cut it with a hole saw. We also cut a
hole in the valve cover and brazed a piece of steel tubing in it that
fit up through the hole in the hood. We got an oil filler plug from
the Massey-Ferguson dealer like the one on the 165-D. The SMTA was
used each year back then to carry the New Idea 2 row mounted corn
picker. With the extra side curtains attached you could not get to the
original oil filler at all. Of course you had to crawl under it all to
check the oil but you were under there at least a couple of times a
day greasing the lower parts of the picker anyway. That top of the
hood oil filler was a "MAJOR" improvement at that time. I have not
bothered to change it back but probably would if I ever get around to
painting it. I'm not sure that will happen, I kind of like work
clothes...
:-)
That Empire looks like a fun tractor. Since I no longer farm I have
become really drawn to the smaller tractors like my TO-20, 8N, VAC,
Pony, AC-C and Cub.
Like Ralph, I don't recall ever seeing one in person, but then I don't
recall if I ate breakfast this morning... Gary and Regina Dotson
(Ohio) collect Leader tractors but I have only seen a few here in
Indiana except at shows. I often wonder about tractor geographics. I
wonder how many Shelbyville IN tractors (Custom Tractor Works) sold
under several names including Custom ever found their way to either
coast? The same for the Silver Kings (made in Ohio, Fate-Root-Heath
Co.).
There were certainly a lot of tractor companies that started up around
1945-1947 that only survived until the early 1950's. A lot of those
that made smaller tractors about like that Empire were just caught in
radically changing agriculture trends. I also often wonder about how
many went under that were making a better tractor than some that
survived? Some that didn't survive (and some that did) did a lousy job
of providing an easily accessible and comfortable place for the
operator. Some seemed to build a tractor then stuck a seat in
somewhere where it would fit. I have climbed on several John Deere L's
and LA's and while I would add one to my collection in a heartbeat you
have to be honest. Those things were absolutely awful to get on and
off...
:-)
I would a lot rather have a Cub or AC-G to use. My MH-Pony doesn't win
any prizes in the mounting / dismounting category...

--

Be tolerant of almost everything but intolerance...

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com