[AT] Empire tractor

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Wed May 26 08:00:45 PDT 2010

How about a tractor related post?

Don't know if anyone else on the list has an Empire tractor, but thought I'd post something on mine.

If you don't know anything about Empire tractors there is information here:

http://www.empiretractor.net/

Anyway, I've had mine for several years and when I got it, it had a Jeep F-head  (not flathead as flatheads are L-head) engine.  Someone years ago had swapped out the flathead engine for the more modern F-head engine.  Unfortunately, just like on the early Willys 4x4s when you swap the F-head in, you have to cut a hole in the hood for the carburetor.  So my Empire also had a hole cut in the hood for the carb.

When I first got the Empire I did some checking and found that a Holley model 1904 1 barrel carb has a much lower height and would fit without having a hole in the hood.  I was seriously thinking of keeping the F-head with the short carb, but later decided I would really rather go back to a flathead engine and make the tractor more original.

So this month I bought three flathead Willys/Jeep engines!  The first one was supposedly a runner 5 years ago, the second was supposedly a smokey runner, the third was stuck.  As it turned out none were really runners as none were complete, but between the three engines I had all the parts to make one.

A retired mechanic friend of mine is currently trying to make one good engine out of the three.

Hopefully sometime this summer I'll get the F-head swapped out and the rebuilt flathead put in the Empire.

Luckily the hole in the hood isn't very big and should be fairly simple to get it patched.

George