[AT] MF 50

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu May 20 21:31:01 PDT 2010

H. L. Staples wrote:
> Driving an old Ford pick-up, it suddenly died. Did some checking the
> distributor rotor was not turning when cranking.
> Pulled the distributor and found that the roll-pin in the small
> gear on the distributor shaft was sheared ???
>
> No reasonable explanation for the pin shearing, guess it was just mad.
> Anyway replaced the pin, timed the distributor and
> the old girl and the fired right up.
>
> Troubles are sometimes thick and sometimes thin.
>
> H.L.
>

> At 12:57 PM 5/20/2010, you wrote:
>
>> I have a good yard tractor MF 50 , or was good to me but, the
>> distributor rotor does not turn. I took it out, could not feel
>> anything turning on the dist shaft so that seems ok, gear looks
>> good...hat to ask..is it possible the cam gear driving the
>> distributor is bad?? I put it back in after timing it DTC #1 on fire
>> and hit the starter--tried to start then backfired. With the
>> distributor in (yes, it is all the way down and locked) I could not
>> turn the rotor. But, when I hit the starter the rotor does not turn?
>> and weird..
>> Wayne

Just to add some fuel for thought.  My wife had a 75 Laguna with a 350
v8 25 years ago..  She stopped about 6 miles from leaving home because
her oil light was on.  She called me and I told her to head back home it
was probably a sensor.  When home I started checking and sure enough no
oil pressure.  Distributor was turning.  I dropped the pan and the oil
pump shaft was turning.  Pulled the pump and took it apart and found the
driven gear in the pump was broken in half and laying where it had not
caught the driving gear which would have stripped everything!!!

Installed new pump and had her going in about 3 hours..   Those we3re
the good old days, did that at the east side of the barn late
afternoon.  Nowadays it would take 3 hours for me to get the hood off.
Had to pull the engine up about 6 inches to get the pan off......

Cecil in OKla