[AT] OT - Vavorite garden beans

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Wed May 19 22:24:46 PDT 2010

On 5/19/2010 11:19 PM, mpnc282 at juno.com wrote:
> Hi all, OT, but I was wondering what variety of green beans you favor. As a small garden grower, I am interested in a continuously  productive plant, not like the big commercial growers that like all their beans to come in at once. I know we have some vegetable farmers on the list, (HL) and would appreciate some input. Thanks, Mike

Mike,

Though not a vegetable farmer, I can tell you that for a home
garden you can spread out the planting of your seeds - some every
week - to help the harvest length.  Pay attention to pick a pole or bush
bean according to how you will grow them. Also check which varieties do best
for your own area.  I grew Kentucky Wonder in Missouri, and they did a
little better than they do in Dallas for me.  That is an old standby
pole bean
that has good flavor and yield but needs to be picked early enough to
keep them
from getting stringy.  I have not grown them personally, but have really
liked the
flavor of Blue Lake for canning.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas