[AT] Update

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Wed May 19 03:45:43 PDT 2010

Indiana Robinson wrote:
> Unleaded regular $2.59.9
> Funny thing is it is running around $2.84.9 just 12 miles away???
> .
> Rain.
> #$%& rain.
> More #$%& rain.
> Still more #$%& rain.
> Cold miserable and clammy.
> We may finally see the sun Thursday.
> They are talking 92 next Monday...
> Probably about time for the drought to start...
> With all of the #$%& rain the #$%& grass is so flimsy that the #$%&
> mower doesn't cut it as well as it should even with new #$%& blades.
> Of course you don't get much chance to get it cut with all of the #$%&
> rain...
> Did I mention that it has been raining?

Same here in OK
I lost my 30 acres of oats that were conventional tillage.  Hail storm
on Sunday took out a strip about 5 miles wide through OK.  Hail was 4
inches deep on the ground.  Then about 2 inches rain in 30 min.  The
hail knocked it down shattered what had headed and then beat it into the
ground and the rain turned it into mud.  I turned the horses into the 6
acre patch on the hill, and the sheep are going into the 24 acres here
at the house today.  If I had a draper swather and a finger reel, I
might make 1 bale to the acre, if the swather could get across the wet
field.  If I could buy about 20 head of old cows and graze it out,  I
might get back the seed and fertilizer cost.  I  could keep throwing
money and time at  this , but  Mother Nature has won that battle, the
old bitch.
The no-till oats in the 120 acre field are up only 8 inches and starting
to head.  The cheat or wild oats is taking over.  The native grass is
nearly as tall as the oats.  Oat plants have about 25% damage from the
hail.  I got about $6000 in seed and spray and fertilizer in this field
and if it doesn't quit raining and warm up, I never will get anything
off this field.
It really looks like the best thing to do with this place is sell it off
in 10 acre tracts and get out of here.  I have fought this for 30 years
and had 2 decent years in 30.  I have a place rented out 50 miles to the
SW that has never experienced this type of severe weather.  The wind
blows over 20mph 75% of the time here.  The storms that hit in the
spring and fall follow a promontory that extends from OKC to Santa Fe,
NM.  No  weather man has ever  mentioned it but it appears that this
promontory directs  some of the most severe right down toward north
OKC.  The hail storm that got me followed that ridge and left 4.25 inch
hail at Okeene, 50 miles NW, we had 2.25 inch hail here.
Most all of the farms here were bought from folks that settled it in the
run and found they could not make it.  The only way to get any money off
this land is from grazing cattle or selling the land.
The handwriting has been on the wall for over 25 years, it is time to
move on.   I have about a years worth of work to salvage all this
equipment I have collected over the years.  There is a company in Enid
that will bring a dumpster and pay about $120/ton and do the hauling.
The situation with my father has screwed up nearly all of my spare time,
so it is time to sell out.

Cecil in OKla