[AT] OT--(but tractors do use oil)

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Sun May 16 11:45:19 PDT 2010

On 5/16/2010 10:49 AM, John Wilkens wrote:
> What am I missing.  How can BP "siphon" the spilled oil UPHILL?    John W.
>
>                      In the wide-open spaces of NE Oregon

John,

They are likely inserting a pipe into a broken end of the pipe
spewing oil (under great pressure) into the ocean water around the
break.  I suspect that the closer the diameter of the inserted pipe to the
broken spewing tubing, the greater the volume of leaking oil
they can capture.  Doubtless you will see a diagram of any successful
attempt at inserting the pipe in a newspaper or web article soon - perhaps
it is already shown. There are many factors involved in what percentage
of the leaking oil they can capture.

Years ago when I was involved in quoting subsea chokes to Phillips
I found deep water drilling problems were complex, difficult, dangerous,
and flat out amazing.  It is not a new science, but the new technology
coming from this incident should be interesting.

Chuck Bealke