[AT] Air conditioner question

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Fri May 14 22:34:41 PDT 2010

>> Hey guys
>>

>> I made a deal yesterday on a Ford 9600 with air conditioner not
>> working. It hasn't been delivered yet but I'm trying to get a
>> little info ahead of time. It may be nothing more than the belt
>> (wishful thinking probably) as it don't have one on it; compressor
>> clutch center turns by hand tho so I don't think it's locked up
>> like the guy said he thought it was.  I'm familiar enough with
>> automotive type air to fix it but I feel sure it's an r12 unit; no
>>  tag saying it's been converted to 134.
>>

>> I'd heard something about this a few years ago; there's a product
>> called Freeze 12 (& doing a Google search I found another one;
>> Enviro Safe) that supposedly don't require all the oil changing,
>> etc. that 134 does; you just evacuate the system & put it in (of
>> course if it's leaked the old out I'll fix the leak & put a new
>> dryer on it).  Anyone ever used either of these products?  Looks
>> like they'd be the way to go IF they work satisfactorily.
>>

>> Input appreciated!
>>

>> Lew near Waco, TX
>>
>> website HTTP://lewslittlefarm.com

Freeze 12 and Enviro-safe are basically the same stuff. They are a 134A
and HCFC 142 blend. The 142 blends with the original oil from the R-12
and carries it through the system. The 134A does the cooling.

Personally if the system has leaked down or requires a compressor or
drier swap, I would just convert it to 134A and be done with it. All you
would need to do is flush the remaining parts and use a set of gauges to
charge the system. Don't charge it by the weight on any tags because you
won't need as much 134A as you had R-12. You may also need a different
orifice or pressure switches depending on how that one is set up.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)