[AT] Just too gorgeous to pass up

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Fri May 14 12:23:58 PDT 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 1:59 PM, charliehill <charliehill at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> Dudley, that makes perfect sense from a logical point of view.  I bet when
> you are ready to sell it he will be willing to buy it back.
>
> Thanks
>
> Charlie

Why would someone who collects old tractors sell a 4020?
:-)
Sometimes things just don't fit. I am still using my right hand to pry
my fingers of my left hand loose from my 4020.
:-)
I was once at a farm meeting where a panel of farmers with no-till
experience were telling everyone about how it was working for them.
One point stressed was that several of them had sold off really huge 4
x 4 tractors (mostly Versatiles) and saying that they were able to use
smaller existing tractors of around 85 to 110 HP for pulling a no-
till planter and drill. One fellow on the end of the table said that
he also had quit using his big rig. Someone asked him if he had sold
it and he bowed his head and placed his hand up to his brow and
sheepishly said quietly that "we are using it to grind hog feed"...
The place was rolling with laughter.
:-)
I could keep a whole series of little tractors busy with little jobs
but I just no longer have any big tractor jobs. It is not practical
for me to show since I don't show locally and is is a lot of tractor
to haul on my trailer (more than I like hauling behind a pickup).
See, I'm still convincing myself...
:-)
After I get a chance to get everybody in good shape I plan to keep the
5' finish mower on the TO-20 most of the time. The lift forks and
several attachments for them on the 8N most of the time. I also want
to keep the VAC Case free for light drawbar work like moving wagons,
trailers etc. I chose the VAC years ago as one to acquire because one
without a lift is really easy to mount / dismount. Without a lift I
will be less likely to tie it up with some implement that is a lot of
work to drop for a few minutes of drawbar work. I generally keep the
mid-mount sickle mower on the Allis C and I can always use it for
light drawbar jobs but I don't call it an easy mount/dismount tractor.
The MM-R with hand clutch is not an first choice for jockeying around
in tight spots especially backing something. The same kind of goes for
the 1948 JD A. The SMTA is great but too big for tight spots like in a
barn. Likewise the MF-165-D-HA. The Super M has 3 point but it also
has the loader on it all of the time. The #$%& CUB is great for little
stuff but has its limits
SSSHHHHHHHHHH... (looking over shoulder) I kind of have an inkling
that a 9N / 2N might sneak in under the radar... SSSHHHHHHH... Well,
heck, I have to have something to mount my Dearborn post hole digger
on. There are horse lots to be built... Sounds like a good excuse to
me.
:-)
This month it seems like all we have done is try to mow between rains.
The grass is just going nuts yet. It should slow down in a couple of
weeks.
Buried a first cousin yesterday at Muncie IN. That was more work than working...

--

Be tolerant of almost everything but intolerance...

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com