[AT] Spam> I Beam weight

Dennis Johnson moscowengnr at yahoo.com
Fri May 14 05:58:57 PDT 2010

Don,

I agree with others that these sizes are not normal rolled I beam sizes. Depensing on which dimension that you pick you can get some differtent weights. The S20 x 75 matched closest for a 5/8 web thickness, but a S20 x 96 is closer to the width.

My guess is that these are fabricated beams like those on many semi trailers. These beams many times have top and bottom flanges from a T1 steel, and then have a web from a grade 50 or 80 steel. Most of the better steel semi trailers are built with beams like this. a 5/8 flange thickness is normal for such beams, but the web is typically about 1/4" thickness. If your beam is like this, it would be about 51 pounds per foot.

You can recheck the dimensions, and calculate an cross section area. Take this area a multiply be 12 x 0.28332 and you should get the weight per foot.

Regards,
Dennis

Don, the closest I can find on the beams is an S20x75(lb/ft) but that should
only be 6 3/8" wide on the flange.  There's is no close match for the second
one.  The third is probably a W10x26 but it is dimensioned at 5 3/4"w x 10
3/8"d.  The d-plate is 10.2 lbs per sq. ft.  What is the thickness of the 4
x 4 angle?