[AT] 2-cycle oil and 340 Farmall

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Sun May 9 10:56:25 PDT 2010

Ok, here is my take on the fuel additive issue.
According to my fuel supplier (I run a small fleet of trucks and a moderate fleet of earth-moving equipment), Ultra-low sulpher fuel has a lubricant in it right from the refiner.  This is required due to the fact that pre-2007 over the road engines would suffer injector damage from lack of the sulpher (a lubricant).  Otherwise, dealers (gas stations) would have to have two tanks for diesel, one for low and another for ultra-low.  Any station selling diesel is required to sell ultra-low and nobody wanted to install more tanks and pumps so the institution of the additive.
Additives to the fuel is unneccessary.  If it makes you feel better, go ahead but, under NO circumstances should you add ANYTHING to the fuel for Tier 3 or 4 off-road engines or 2007 nor later on-road engines.  The injector pump clearances are much to close to allow this.  Remember, new engines are running upwards of 25,000psi at the nozzles!
Remember t