[AT] Round-Up resistant weeds

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed May 5 15:15:05 PDT 2010

Its true there are always going to be a few resistant plants out there.
Continued use of the same herbicide means those few resistant seeds can
multiply and soon become a problem. Its the reason why we are encouraged to
rotate our crops and herbicides. Without going into a description of the
various herbicide groups I can say that the different herbicides have
different modes of action so even if a weed is resistant to one group of
herbicides it will not be resistant to all.
We grow a lot of roundup ready canola here. That combined with the necessary
burn off with glyphosate on zero till fields means that even one roundup
resistant weed on a field has an opportunity to multiply.
As long as I grow a different crop on that field next year and use a
herbicide from another group it will not be a problem.
Actually roundup ready canola is already considered a weed by some. When I
chem fallow a field I can't depend on just roundup obviously as it will kill
everything except the volounteer RR canola. So I have to mix a little 2-4D
or equivalent to get a weed kill. Its part of the price we pay for the
convenience of roundup ready canola crops.

Ralph in Sask.