[AT] [POSSIBLE SPAM] Re: OT - Concrete

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue May 4 04:34:46 PDT 2010

Cecil,  I once had the job of pulling the cylinders, checking slump and
making sure the concrete workers didn't add too much water on a huge
industrial construction project.  Some days I had 7 or 8 pours going on
spread over a couple of miles.  The concrete guys ALWAYS have an excuse.
It's a hot day, the ground is dry and will suck the water out of the
concrete, you name it, they'll come up with some reason why they want to add
water.  Some of those days it was really hard to stand my ground.  One day I
had to make a guy who had been a concrete superintendent for 30 years stop
his pour because he insisted on adding water because the sand under the slab
was too dry.  This wasn't a slab to keep your feet dry.  It was 12" or so
thick and had heavy re-bar mats from top to bottom.  He sent for the project
manager.  I know he thought he was going to get me fired.  When the big man
got there I told him the specs called for no more than a 3" slump and I was
told by the project chief engineer not to let them exceed it.  The project
manager looked at the concrete supt. and told him "YOU know better than
that.  This man's doing his job.  If the fill material under the slab is too
dry wet it down before you pour.

Polymer (plasticizer) is wonderful stuff and if it was added to your pour
they shouldn't have needed to add water.  Of course you know that already.

Charlie