[AJD] JD Disc Plow

Bill Salisbury salisburyw at comcast.net
Mon May 3 15:50:54 PDT 2010

Hi Reverend Gerber,

I spent a lot of time during my teenage years, helping my uncle farm wheat
in the Texas Panhandle.  I spent many hours on a McCormack Deering W-9
tractor, pulling either one or sometimes two 16' one-way plows.  I loved
doing it and have many fond memories of those times.  Sorry it was not a JD
doing the pulling, but one has to make allowances!  It was not uncommon for
me to plow 100 acres in a day, but my all time record was plowing 160 acres
in one day, pulling two of those one-ways and using a fairly shallow cut.
We also used a Farmall M for plowing, but that one would only pull one of
those 16' plows at one time.  The M was a sweet tractor and easier to drive
than the W-9.  I, however, loved that W-9 as it was a real pulling hog.  At
first it was fueled with gasoline, but later we converted it to Butane.  We
called it Butane, but it was probably Propane.  Another fellow who did
farming on that same ranch property had a WD-9 and I always admired that
diesel model.  I got to drive it once.

I cannot tell you how many discs there were on each of those plows, but it
seems to me that they were probably spaced 10-12" apart.  The finish that
they produced was very pleasing to the eye.  One of the plows had bronze
bushings with seals that were not very good.  That plow had to be greased
about every 2 hours, as I recall.  The other plow had either Timken rollers
or other non-friction type of bearing with good seals and that one was
greased only once per day and then only one shot per fitting.

Don't know if any of this information is of any use to you, but I had to put
it out to you, just in case.

Bill Salisbury
Now a JD 420S owner