[AJD] JD Disc Plow

Michael Dixon mpmbd at yadtel.net
Sat May 1 15:57:22 PDT 2010

Disc plows work better than moldboard plows in land that may have stumps. In
the old days, the trees would be cut and the stumps would simply be left to
rot. But the land would be farmed immediately with rowcrops or uses that do
not require clear land such as for use with grain drills and similar. The
moldboard plow would hang on roots and stumps, often with breakage occurring
or the tractor becoming mired and stuck. Disc plows make impressive looking
furrows but actually plow only to shallow depths. The first tractor pass
subsequent to such plowing with a disc harrow is very difficult on both
tractor and operator- it is torture! It seems to me that disc plows require
less power than do moldboard plows.