[AJD] Antique-johndeere Digest, Vol 69, Issue 1

don_shehi at msn.com don_shehi at msn.com
Sat May 1 18:46:25 PDT 2010

Amsden

You have about the same story that I remember from my dad.  We lived is
western Kansas, 40 miles from the Colorado border.  I think what we are
calling disc plows are the same thing they called one ways.  Some were 20
feet in length.  As I remember the comments from my dad on this subject was
that a one way (disc plow) would only partially turn the wheat stubble over.
Leaving part of the wheat stubble exposed to prevent the wind from blowing
the soil away.   A moldboard plow will completely turn the soil leave it
exposed for wind erosion.

I do remember he used a 39 A to pull a 10 foot one way in western Kansas and
went to 2-14 moldboard plow  when moving to eastern Kansas.

Don Shehi
Camp Verde, Az