[Farmall] "H" oil filter questions

Ed Greany crest25 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 9 07:17:59 PST 2010

Hello Tim,

I guess it's time for me to offer my services on this subject.
IF you are considering replacing your stock oil filter, install one of my Frantz Oil Filters which have been used on tractors, cars, trucks, planes, etc. for over 5 decades now.

The Frantz Filter uses a roll of toilet paper as the filtration element inside. It can be a full flow or a bypass filter. Before filters came stock on our vehicles, the Frantz was used as a full flow filter meaning all the lubricating engine oil flowed through the filter. Once filters became standard like they are today, the Frantz is a bypass filter sampling just a fraction of the oil flow but doing it all the time so eventually all the oil goes through the Frantz.

There was a different type of filter back in the 30s and 40s called the "Refiner". This filter also used the heat from the exhaust maniford to heat the oil and reducing the water out of the oil into steam vapor. The filter used rags, cotton, toilet paper, or whatever was available to stuff into the canister to filter the oil. It actually worked. I have in my filter collection one of these old units. That was one of the forerunners of the Frantz idea or design.

While I have not installed a Frantz (YET) on my '46 Farmall, I do have one installed on my Kubota diesel. Diesels build up soot and water in the oil. Of course the water is an ingredient to make acid so neither are healthy for an engine. The Frantz protects me both ways; remove unwanted soot and preventive measures against acid damage.

My Frantz Filters come in two ways: as a complete kit with fittings, hose, mounting bracket, filter, etc. or as a basic unit with just the filter unit itself. If you don't need the fittings, hose, etc. then save yourself $50 and improvise your own mounting and hoses. For more information, please go to my website at www.FRANTZOIL.com or write me offline.

Unless you are restoring your tractor and are a critic to maintain it totally "stock", make your life easier and install a Frantz unit. When I install mine I plan on keeping the existing filter housing in tact but without a filter element inside. I can locate the Frantz semi-out-of-sight or proudly display it for promotional purposes. My Farmall is about as stock as it can get except for the rust. She's a beautiful girl that has not seen a speck of paint since the factory and purrs like no kitten you've ever heard. Putting something shiny on her just doesn't seem right but functionally, I just gotta. I'm lazy about changing the oil so this is really what I need to do for her. The oil in my 88 Samurai is 2001 oil. Why change your oil when you can keep it clean? That's for another discussion.

I know this post totally sounds like a spam and for that to all the members who have no interest in the subject that bothers Tim, I apologize. You haven't seen me post anything before about Frantz until now so I'll just sit back again and read the mail. If I can help you with oil filtering issues, please write me. I don't have all the answers but after using a product for over 50 years I think I have some pretty good knowledge of it.

Good luck Tim. Eliminate all your gasket issues with a Frantz.

Ed Greany
www.FRANTZOIL.com