[AT] Magneto Question...again!

K7jdj at aol.com K7jdj at aol.com
Mon Mar 29 11:04:48 PDT 2010

In a message dated 3/29/2010 8:51:06 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
rwenig2 at xplornet.com writes:

The distributor cap is almost certainly carbon tracked if there are any
signs of burning.
Ben,

I have also had the rotor get a carbon  path to ground.  I was on a high
voltage system (Datsun 280 Z).  It is  not easy to see this, or test for it,
but if you have spark going into the  distributor from the coil then either
the rotor or distributor cap is  defective.  I also have seen some
distributors that have a clutch drive to  the rotor for ease of adjustment.  (marine
applications)  Make sure  the rotor is actually turning when the engine is
being turned  over.

Gary

Renton,  WA