[AT] Magneto Question...again!

pga2 at BasicISP.net pga2 at BasicISP.net
Mon Mar 29 08:30:21 PDT 2010

Ben,
Check the center electrode on the inside of the cap. There should be
a small carbon button on a spring there to make contact with the rotor.
If that button/sprong is missing, you need a new cap, but you should
already know that. :o)

Phil

--- ben at olde-books.com wrote:

From: Ben Wagner <ben at olde-books.com>
Subject: [AT] Magneto Question...again!
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:05:24 -0400

Hello,

Thanks for your help on testing my generator.  I was doing some more
work on the tractor, and we finally got the magneto to throw a spark.
Some of you may remember my question on that specific problem with the
mag a couple of months ago.  It sure took awhile, but it is going again!

I have a nice strong spark from the coil discharge on the coil cover.
However, I can't get the distributor cap to give me a spark on any of
the four towers.  I took the cap and rotor off, and the cap's plastic
had melted on the outside of the towers inside the cap.  The rotor,
however, was fine.  Would this be related to the fact that I am not
getting a spark from the distributor?

Both the cap and rotor were brand new a few months ago.  It was working
fine before I took it apart.  Is this a timing issue?

Hope my question makes sense...

Ben Wagner