[AT] When Lost How do You Find It

John Widener johnwidener at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 29 03:25:23 PDT 2010

1) Make an indicator using a jar of light oil, a old spark plug and a clear
plastic tubing. Put the plastic tubing on the end of the spark plug after
you break up the spark plug to make it air tight.

2) Take all the spark plugs out of the engine. Turn the engine with your
thumb in the number one spark plug hole until you feel pressure on your
thumb. The top of this stroke is the top dead center, or the compression
stroke. You can use the starter to turn the engine over, but if you feel
more comfortable with the battery cable unhooked, you can use a wrench on
the alternator to turn it. You can also use a wrench on the crankshaft
pulley.

3)  Put the spark plug with the plastic tubing in the number one spark plug
hole. Place the other end of the tubing into the jar of light oil. As you
keep turning the motor, bubbles will be blown into the oil until the piston
reaches the top. When the piston starts back down, the oil will be sucked
into the tube. Stop and mark the engine body and the crank pulley. Also mark
the tube where the oil stopped.

4) Turn the engine backwards and the oil will go back into the jar. Keep
turning the motor until the oil is sucked back into the tube. Stop at the
mark and the pulley should line up with the first mark you made. Make
another mark on the crank pulley and the midpoint between the marks should
be top dead center.