[AT] Firewood cutting

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Mar 27 10:04:23 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Bruce" <davidbruce at yadtel.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2010 4:42 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Firewood cutting

> Ralph,
> Maybe the reason one hasn't heard of accidents (I haven't either) is
> those men knew the dangers and used great care around the operating blade.
> In those days the firewood came from trimming around the edges of the
> fields.  I barely remember my grandpa, a great uncle and a couple others
> doing that trimming every winter and piling the cut firewood in a fresh
> pile in the woodshed for use the next winter.
> David
> NW NC

Big difference in today's firewood requirements here anyway. In the old days
that wood stove was used for cooking 365 days a year plus some wood for the
big furnace in the basement to supplement the coal. Days were spent with the
axe cutting logs down and hauling them home. My Dad (and grandfather before
him) did this part by himself including loading and hauling the logs home by
sleigh and horses. On the plus side they never had to go far to find
firewood as the bushes grew up around here. Dry years produced plenty of
deadfall which was easier picking.
Neighbours would get together for a wood cutting "bee" and spend the day
cutting a huge pile of logs into blocks. I can still remember them from the
1960s but around that time oil heat and electric stoves were taking over
from wood.
At my brother's the firewood is only supplemental heat for the house and the
modern airtight stoves are a lot more efficient at producing heat without
sending most of it up the chimney. I've probably already showed this pic of
my Uncle and his yearlly firewood supply. This was in "modern times", late
nineties as he never did give up his wood stove. More than a days work for
the three of us to make that wood pile.
http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/142_165/24_199/Donaldwoodpile-vi.jpg

Ralph in Sask.