[AJD] Latest tractor AOS

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 17 19:23:11 PDT 2010

Keith,

   From what I know, and that is not much,  the AOS was an early attempt at styling the AO.  I have heard it called AO 'streamline' and AO 'styled'  Of course, there is the Later AO that was styled anyway but it looked nothing like the AOS.

    From what I can see,  The tractor looks closer in size to a BO as it is narrower than the AR's and AO (unstyled) of the time.  I have yet to part it next to my 1936 AO, but it looks a touch narrower to my eye.  I might be wrong on that though.

    From what I can tell Deere built from 1937 to 1940.  Production looks to be on the low side,  1000 to 2000 I think, I don't have the production information in front of me right now.

   Ok reading in my "Original John Deere Model A" book by Brian Rukes and Andy Kraushaar I see that the tractor was 5 1/4 inches narrow than the AO of the time. (The 1936 AO was a little wider than the 1937 AO but the AOS was narrower yet by 5.25 inches)  Total height was 5.25 inches lower than the AO,  Crankshaft, Clutch pulley, front axle, all narrower. From what I can tell from the production numbers listed in their book there were 831 produced.

   Hope this helps,