[AT] OT - Another computer issue

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Mar 17 11:47:15 PDT 2010

Mike Meulenberg wrote:
> In keeping with the computer thread, I am having an annoying issue
> with our laptop. I am using a small mouse instead of the touch pad; I
> don't want the touch pad to function because I am constantly hitting
> it with my thumbs, which sends the cursor flying all over. I've
> disabled the touch pad by uninstalling the driver, but that only
> works for a little while. Can someone tell me how to disable the
> touch pad for good until I want it to function again? Thanks, Mike M

Mike, Usually there are two items you have to do to shut down the touch-pad.

First go into the control panel and you will usually find a section in
the mouse control applet that lets you disable the touchpad when you
have a mouse plugged in. Usually there are three choices one is use the
touchpad only, next is use both and the last is use the mouse only (when
it is connected)
Next go into the device manager and disable the touchpad. Depending on
the OS your using it may be listed under mouse and other pointing
devices or HID compatible items.

Should shut it down.
Removing the drivers only works until you reboot or if you hit the pad
windows will assume you want to use it and reload the driver.

Another solution is to make a steel pad that sits on the pad and blocks
input. But thats a bit extreme...

--
Steve W.