[AT] Off topic, computer related.

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Mar 17 09:53:32 PDT 2010

Update.

I've gotten this thing beat down to two files that I can't remove
.....YET....   I was finally able to download Spybot search and destroy but
it won't get these files either or even find them.  I've found some web
sites dedicated to this problem but the solutions are manual solutions that
require going into a particular folder and substituting an instruction
stream that has to be cut and pasted from the web site.  First I have to get
comfortable that the web sites are legit and then get comfortable with the
proceedure but I'm gonna do it.

If any of you ever do a web seach, click on a link and then think to
yourself that the link took you somewhere different than what you thought
you might have the problem.   Look for these files:

Now it's comming up clean except two files:  C:Documents and settings\All
>> Users\applications Data\Temp:A8ADE5D8:$Data

and  C:Documents and
>> settings\All Users\applications Data\Temp:DFC5A2B2:$Data

If you have either of these files or a similar file with a differerent
alpha/numeric stream but in applications data\Temp or if you find any files
that have the extension $DATA then you need to figure out how to get rid of
them.  I don't know how long I've had this problem but for months, maybe
over a year my computer has been slow and I've often gone to web sites where
I thought the link was a misrepresentation of what the web site really was.
If they hadn't gotten greedy and started doing stuff that made my computer
unusable there's no telling how  long they would have gotten away with it.

By the way,  I run anti-virus and anti-spyware software and keep my drive
cleaned up.  I don't know exactly when or how the problem got started.  I
guess there must have been a period of time that my protection was off for
some reason.

Thanks to all that helped me on the list and especially to Mike Sloane for
repeatedly helping me off list.

Charlie