[AT] Off topic, computer related.

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Tue Mar 16 06:55:03 PDT 2010

On program I haven't heard mentioned is Spybot Search&Destroy
(http://www.safer-networking.org/).   Free (donation recommended) and worth a
shot.   Last time I needed it, I had to download it on a different computer
and transfer it via USB stick because whatever is causing problems blocks that
site.

That said, I think it is time for you to start over.   Backup all your data
(and only data - you don't know how your programs are infected), erase
everything on your computer, reinstall, then apply the latest updates.   You
want to be behind a firewall for this because there are some bugs on the
install system that can be used to infect your computer before you get the
updates downloaded.  Might be worth paying someone $50 to do this just because
they are experienced (but do your own backups first - they won't save anything
from your computer for $50, and besides you need backups anyway).

Make sure you turn automatic updates on.  Microsoft is pretty good about
getting patches out quickly.

Did I mention you need backups?   I've heard too many stories about people who
lost critical data because they were too lazy to do backups.