[AT] Off topic, computer related.

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon Mar 15 06:25:04 PDT 2010

Mike,  I don't think I'm getting this stuff through normal means (whatever
that would be).  I run a full software firewall with virus and malware
protection built into it (Zone Alarm Pro) and my internet service is DSL
though the phone company  Embarq/Charter.  Any normal viruses should get
stopped by the ISP first and by ZA if they get by the ISP.  I'm thinking
that somehow I've got a program running that is allowing this stuff.  I'm
starting to have problems again this morning.  The reason I don't want/need
to change browsers is that I'm a real estate appraiser.  I have to access
records from several Multiple Listing Services in the area and some of them
have MLS software that will only run on Internet Explorer.  In fact I
usually have to wait a month or so prior to a new update of IE for these
small software companies to catch up with the changes.  However I'm starting
to think that this problem is browser specific and I might have to change
anyway.  This morning I ran a search for an .exe program that I was worried
about.  Apparently it's just part of microsofts stuff and not a problem but
while searching for it one of the links was to a microsoft.com web site.
When I went there I got immediately re-directed to a spam site.  I was
watching the address line and immediately shut it down.  Then a few minutes
later I opened my browser to the home page (Fox News) and in a few seconds
got redirected to "cheapassgames.com" and then within a second of so again
to some long addressed site that said something about antivirus software.  I
know that was taking me back to the source of the problem I had.

I shut the browser down as fast as possible and re-ran Trend Micro's
housecall, Trend Micros RU Boted and Malware Bytes Anti-malware program.
All of them came back clean.

At this point I don't even want to open my browser to download Firefox or
another Browser.  This is getting rediculous.

Charlie