[AT] Harvest video

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Mar 14 10:44:20 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cecil Bearden" <crbearden at copper.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2010 6:18 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Harvest video

Here you have to harvest oats like that to get ahead of the weeds.  I
combined 220 acres of oats that a guy had cut and windrowed.  He cut
them when it was wet and they stuck to the ground.,  I had a good pickup
but the would shatter out when it went to pick them up.  It made 30
bushel to the acre and he did not pay me because he thought there should
be 60 bushel to the acre.  We went to court and the attorney lost my
right to file a lien because he did not know about a combine & thrashers
lien.  Attorney now is a state representative.  I worked 2 weeks on that
one field and lost other work at harvest in addition to buying the
combine to do that work...  that was the end of my custom harvesting days.
That summer will always stick in my memory.
Cecil in OKla

Not a good memory for you Cecil. Oats harvest methods vary here and up til
recently nobody considered straight cutting feasible as the oats would shell
out in the wind waiting for the whole field to ripen. Newer varieties seem a
little more resistant to shelling . I straight cut my last crop of oats and
it worked pretty well although there were still plenty of oats on the ground
in my opinion. But it saved the operation of swathing .

Ralph in Sask.