[Farmall] Turning on the magneto switch on Farmall "H"

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Mar 13 08:21:55 PST 2010

The quickest check would be to put a voltmeter between the "BAT"
terminal on the alternator (or the positive battery terminal) and
ground. If the alternator is working properly the reading should be
between 13.5 and 14 volts when the engine is running. If it is not
working, the voltage will be something less and slowly dropping as the
ignition system slowly drains the battery.

My experience with converting old Farmall tractors to alternator
operation has been that you need to put the smallest pulley you can find
on the alternator, as the high idle speed 1600-1800 rpm of those old
engines isn't really fast enough for proper operation with the standard
pulley that usually comes with the alternator. Most auto parts places
have a carton behind the counter somewhere with a bunch of different
used alternator pulleys in them. You have to dig through them to find
the one you need (i.e. about 2" in diameter that fits your alternator
and matches the contour of your belt). A decent auto parts place will
help you out, but what you find at the average chain (like AutoZone) is
that the counter help barely know how to spell "car", and if you say
that the alternator is for a tractor, you will get the "deer in the
headlights" look. (Been there, done that) You can also try a automobile
salvage yard for a smaller pulley - at least the guys there will have a
pretty good idea of what you are looking for and why. Removing the
pulley on an alternator, by the way, is a little tricky, as there is no
good way to hold the pulley without risking damage to it - the quickest
and easiest way is to use an impact wrench.

Mike