[Farmall] Turning on the magneto switch on Farmall "H"

DBigdog DBigdog at columbus.rr.com
Thu Mar 11 16:30:38 PST 2010

Tim,
    Some 12 volt conversions require alternator speeds higher than normally
seen in the older tractor engines to get the alternator charging unless they
are manually excited..  The previous owner apparently set up the toggle
switch to temporarily apply voltage to the alternator to excite it so it
would start charging.  This is often done with a diode or small lamp bulb
which will allow the alternator to start charging but not bleed back through
the component to drain the battery when not running.  I have also seen this
done with a pushbutton to prevent leaving the switch in the on position.
    The switch actually has nothing to do with the magneto at all.  As long
as you don't forget to switch it off after exciting the alternator you will
be OK.  If it were me I'd replace it with a diode to eliminate the need for
the switch altogether or at the minimum I'd replace it with a small
momentary contact pushbutton.