[AT] 39 Farmall A coming along.....

Mark Greer markagreer at embarqmail.com
Thu Mar 11 06:04:34 PST 2010

No, they had machinists who carefully measured the crankpin diameter and the
bearing bore with micrometers. If the engine didn't have insert bearings
then they re-poured and hand scraped the babbitt bearing liners to fit the
crankshaft. If it had inserts then most manufacturers offered -.001",
.-002", etc. bearing inserts to accommodate moderate wear of the crankshaft
and still give correct oil clearance without re-grinding the crank journals.
If the crank was too worn then it needed to go off to the machinist for a
re-grind at .005" or .010" undersize and new bearings in those same
undersizes were used. If a bearing journal was really trashed then you could
usually grind a journal .020" or .030" undersize and still get bearings to
fit. The invention of Plastigage allowed the average person who doesn't
possess expensive measuring tools to check bearing clearances in their
home/farm shop and not have to drag the engine to the machinist. Of course
there have always been half-assed repairs used by people to "get by" but
they are always a compromise and don't last like a job done correctly. It is
generally more expensive in the long run to "fix" something the wrong way
than it is to do it right the first time. You will find a lot of these
"patch" jobs on equipment at consignment auctions. They are "fixed" to work
long enough to get them through the auction and then.....Fixing the second
failure is usually very expensive and sometimes costs more than the machine
is worth. It falls into the same category as buying a cheap tool 2 or 3
times (because it fails) when you could have spent more the first time and
owned the good tool for a lifetime. My Dad always taught us that the most
expensive tool you can own is the one that cost you less to start with and
failed when you needed it most. The cheapest one is the best one you can buy
(maybe also the most expensive one) that serves you well for a lifetime.
Mark
Celebrating the Second Amendment one fine firearm at a time.