[AT] 39 Farmall A coming along.....

Doug Tallman dtallman at accnorwalk.com
Wed Mar 10 17:49:17 PST 2010

There are pros and cons to plastigage. They claim it can become
distorted and give incorrect readings. If its been layed  flat too long
or had weight on top of it in storage it may be off to start with and
not even be noticeable. Another thing to watch out for that the opposite
side such as a rod is tight against the crank before you tighten the cap
with the plastigage. For instance, if you put it on a rod cap and then
use the cap and nuts to draw the piston down the bore to the crank, the
reading will be off because you had 0 clearance when you were pulling
the rod with the cap. There's no substitute for inside and outside mikes
to check actual clearance and it would be a good time to teach that too.
Most of the bearings are marked on the back for std or undersize. A
thought on getting the piston out. Not sure if this would be feasible to
do at the school or not and it also depends where the piston is. If you
can get an inch or 1 1/2 in of kerosene on top of the piston light it
and let it burn. You'll need a paper wick to keep it going. After the
kero has burnt out your chances of getting the piston out will be a lot
better. Sometimes it takes a few tries but I've never had it fail. Good
luck!! Doug T