[AT] 39 Farmall A coming along.....

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 10 13:53:10 PST 2010

My students got the engine out (off?) the tractor yesterday and onto a nice
sturdy shop table.  The got to see how the main and rod bearing caps are all
numbered so they go back in the right spot.  They got piston/rods 1,3,and 4
out today.  #2 will get interesting.  It is definitely the stuck one.  Once
they get the crank out, then they can wail on the back side of the piston
until their hearts' content!

The crank appears to be in pretty good shape, the #3 rod bearing had some
bronze showing on the edge of the bearing insert, and I can feel a slight
corresponding groove on that crank journal.  I am hoping, hoping, hoping a
quick grind will have it back into spec.  Time'll tell.  If we had more
time, I would have loved to let them plastigauge everything to check
tolerances, but their (and my) goal is to drive it out under its own power
by the end of the semester and we were 1/3 of the way through on Monday.

Al