[AT] 8V 71 now crop inputs

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Mar 9 11:24:33 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cecil Bearden" <crbearden at copper.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2010 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] 8V 71 Detroit in a Mack Cab over for Ralph

> My apologies to the list for having so many test e-mails.  It  is working
> now..
> Setting here watching it rain.   I finished sowing oats in the rented 1/4
> section yesterday nmorning.  This is just what it needed to settle the
> dirt
> around the seed as I used a no-till and it was wet.  I hope the crop pays
> for the seed and fuel and labor.  About $4500 for 120 acres..

Oats is a fairly cheap crop to grow here compared to some others. Some years
I've spent that much alone per acre on anhydrous fertilizer. I've not gone
to the trouble of figuring out the total per acre expenses for most crops as
it would be too scary and depressing .
I've heard talk of $100 an acre and up for some crops. Got a shock while
shopping for canola seed last week. Even the "cheap" seed is $5 a pound so
thats at least $25 per acre for seed right there. But in my dreams we could
get $10 a bushel for that canola that we harvest so theres still potential
for profit I think.

Ralph in Sask.