[Farmall] "H" oil filter questions

Jim Becker jim.becker at verizon.net
Tue Mar 9 07:00:06 PST 2010

1) Probably both.  Hardening comes from a combination of heat and age.  That
gasket has probably been there for many years and through several oil
changes.  It has been common practice to reuse the old gasket.  As long as
the rubber still has some flex, it will reseal.

2) If you change the gasket with every oil/filter change, it will not get
that hard and will be relatively easy to remove.  One stab with a pointed
tool will get it started and the rest will peel out in one piece.

3) You are probably over thinking this.  I never looked for an adapter for
an H, but have seen them on smaller letter series engines that use the same
IH filter.  The question is whether there is an adapter that fits the H
housing (which is shaped a bit differently).  I presume that any properly
designed adapter would have to have a correctly sized flow restriction,
sized for this engine, to keep all the oil flow from bypassing through the
filter.  I wouldn't bother trying to change it.
Jim Becker