[Farmall] "H" oil filter questions - photos below

Tim Savelle tim.savelle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 20:07:52 PST 2010

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Problem is I've not been able to get the
new gasket fully seated.  One of you suggested filling the groove with axle
grease and pressing the gasket into the grease to hold it down until I can
get the filter housing in place.   I'll give that a try once I'm sure all
the old gasket is out.  My concern is that I'm not sure how deep the groove
is supposed to be because the bottom could be filled with old hardened
gasket material, and whether the top of the gasket should be even with the
inside edge of the groove (bare metal) or the outside edge of the groove
(painted exterior side).  The outside edge is lower than the inside edge.
Right now, the top of the gasket is even with the inside edge of the groove.

If anyone wants to look at the picture of the gasket and filter that I tried
to imbed into my original email, I figured out how to post it into a public
Google Picasa web album.  Here's the link.  If you'll click on it, it should
take you straight to the picture.  It's the only one in the folder.

http://picasaweb.google.com/113549674996528953543/Farmall?feat=directlink

Thanks,
Tim