[Farmall] "H" oil filter questions - photos below

Tim Savelle tim.savelle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 08:23:52 PST 2010

Thanks to all of you guys who've responded to my questions about the 1949
"H" I recently purchased.

I'm changing the oil for the first time.  Got a few questions.

1. It is an insert-type cartridge filter.  There's a gap between the bottom
of the filter and oil filter mount's base.  Is this supposed to be there?
See picture below.  This is the new filter.

2. Is the new gasket down far enough in the groove?  I picked around down in
the groove when I took took out the old filter and couldn't make out what
appear to be leftover pieces of the old gasket.  Just seems like the groove
is a bit shallow.  In the picture below the new gasket is pushed down into
the groove as far as it will go (on the outside.  Gasket not seated
completely in groove on back side)

3. The gasket is kind of "standing up" on edge.  Am I supposed to "roll" it
so that longer side is in the groove bottom?  If so, how do I get it to stay
in place until I can get the filter cover back on?

4.  The gasket came in the filter box rolled up.  I'm having a hard time
flattening it out enough to stay down in the groove.  Wants to bow up.
Tricks or tips?

Thanks again for the help!
Tim