[AT] D17 with front fenders--lights ane signals

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Mar 7 17:35:03 PST 2010

 Mattias, driving tractors on the road depends a lot where you live. I hate
doing it here now. When I was 14 I didn't think anything of it. Our
population has increased greatly and the new folks are clueless about farm
equipment. We never had but one tractor and a combine with turn signals. On
the ones that had it we would run our flashers. Fortunately we never had any
problems, and a lot of our driving was on a 4 lane highway.  It was rare for
us to move equipment after dark. I can only think of 2 occasions. Once the
combine was on fire and we were driving it in to get to a water source. The
other was a Friday night and we had finished up a farm about 15 miles from
home. We had spent most of the afternoon fixing a flat rear tire in the
rain. When I pulled under the shed that night at 10:00 I heard the same tire
going flat again.

Come to think of it we did have one wreck with a motor vehicle. It was a
snow plowing accident. Totaled a Chevy Blazer ('70s model) and busted the
block in a JD 4020. Fortunately nobody was hurt.

I did come close to hitting a tobacco harvester 2 years ago. Its about the
size of a small combine with no header. The darn thing was painted dark
green and had no operating lights on the back. It was easy to overtake at 60
mph on a 4-lane highway. It wasn't too close of a call but...

John Hall