[AT] good view of shifting a 13 speed roadranger

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Mar 7 15:33:36 PST 2010

Yes Ron,  after thinking about it a while that's right.  I'd "preselect" the
shift to OD and then let it shift by lifting my foot off the throttle but
when going to the next gear in the gearbox I'd pull the lever into neutral,
flip the switch back to direct and then pull the lever into gear.

Ron, we were hauling logs and dump trailers most of the time and the 13
speeds came in handy but running on the highway I always liked the way the
10 speeds worked.  They just don't have that low hole gear for getting off a
log deck or getting down in the mud on the farm roads.  I liked driving the
13 speeds but the 10 speed is probably more dependable long term and it's
easy enough to master.  Shift 5, pull the button and start over if I
remember right.  Actually the truck I owned for a while was a 10 speed.  The
13's I drove all belonged to other folks.  We were all running 8 v 71
detroits.  Some of the other guys we hauled with were running 290 and 350
Cummins with 9 speeds.   The cummins engine has such a broad torque band
that the 9 speed was plenty but you have to keep those Jimmy's screaming.

Charlie