[AT] D17 with front fenders

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Mar 7 07:34:04 PST 2010

Oh I forgot, as for fenders on a D-17, I'm an Allis guy.  I've looked at a
lot of Allis tractors in use and at shows and I can't think of ever seeing
any fenders on a D series AC tractor.  Not even on the orchard models.  It
would have to be for export or some specialty use.  However, AC would do
about anything a dealer or group of dealers wanted.  Case in point,  around
here there were a lot of 185 AC tractors sold with a "Tobacco Special"
package.
I think some other 100 series as well.  I posted a picture of one on
Allischalmers.com and some guys in the midwest and west coast who really
know their AC tractors told me in no uncertain terms that AC didn't make a
tractor badged as "tobacco special".  They were sure of it and some of them
were ex-dealers.  I was equally sure they were wrong because I remember when
they were being sold.  I saw them on multiple dealer lots and saw ads for
them.  To make sure I called a big dealer who was an AC dealer until AC went
under and asked them about it.  The man told me without a doubt that the
tractors came off the rail cars with the "tobacco special" decals on them
and that they had longer axles than the standard tractor. (set up to
straddle two 48" rows).   Clearly the deal was that AC did a special run of
those tractors just for this region (NC, S/E VA and SC).   So if some group
of dealers wanted D-17's with fenders there might have been some built.  I
still don't want one!  grins.