[Farmall] H Questions

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Mar 7 06:33:26 PST 2010

I completely agree with DBigdog. I would only add that a 50/50 mix of
antifreeze will get you down to something like -30° F; if you live in a
milder climate, you can probably get away with a little less antifreeze.
The other advantage of using antifreeze in the coolant is that modern
formulations have rust inhibitors included, which helps to keep the
water jacket free of rust.

As far as hydraulic fluid, look on the container - if it is the right
fluid for your older Farmall, it will say somewhere that it is
"equivalent to Case IH Hy-Tran", as well as several other Ford, JD, AC,
etc. similar fluids. Some of the fluids for newer machines are much
thinner and would not be suitable for older tractors.

If your '49 has a hydraulic system (very unusual) it would likely have
been the old transmission driven "Lift-All" (a.k.a. "belly pump") which
called for 30 weight non detergent motor oil. The only potential
downside of using Hy-Tran equivalent in the Lift-All is that some of the
older seals might weep, or excess pump wear would create cavitation. If,
on the other hand, the tractor has a later after-market hydraulic
system, you are probably fine with regular hydraulic fluid.

Mike