[Farmall] 39 A: Crankshaft pulley with setscrew!

Howard Weeks weeksh at att.net
Sat Mar 6 16:56:50 PST 2010

I bore a 3/8" hole on both sides of the center in the thin part of
the pulley.  I then use a regular slotted bar type puller and a
couple long bolts.  Haven't broken one yet.  I put them back on by
bolting a 4x4 across the front of the engine (using the bolster bolt
holes) and then push it on with a small 2 ton jack.  That always
works for me.  I suppose there is some possibility of getting the
pulley out of balance but, if so, I haven't noticed it.

Howard in GA

On 6 Mar 2010 at 8:32, Al Jones wrote:

> On the Cub, I used a couple pieces of flat steel, like 1/4"x1", to
> form a "backing" on the back face of the pulley to get it off.  Worked
> well with moderate pressure on the puller and then a couple of
> medium-hard blows to the pulley with a hammer.  I have not tried to
> measure but to me this pulley looks to be even thinner material than
> on the Cub.  Has anybody tried putting a little heat on the pulley?  I
> never see that mentioned but can't see what it would hurt.  Either way
> I'm not trying it until we can locate a splitter.
>
> Al

Howard Weeks
Harlem, GA
K5JCP