[Farmall] 39 Farmall A: Getting sleeves/pistons out.

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 3 15:53:35 PST 2010

I agree.  And before it's all said & done, they'll at least get a chance to
see a sleeve puller.  However resources are, shall we say, "limited."  I
don't have a real nice selection of specialized tools on hand--we've been
fortunate to do some borrowing of some stuff already.

I already knew wet sleeves came out easier than dry ones.  The fact the
pistons are stuck was what was throwing me.  I had looked at the service
manual, studied the tractor, looked at the manual again, and just couldn't
make up my mind what would work the best.

This is one of those "above and beyond" projects that isn't something we
normally are able to do in this class.  I haven't taught this particular
course in about 7-8 years, so when the tractor came along, I decided to "go
for the gusto."  The way it's shaping up, I think it's going to be
meaningful to the students, even if we have to improvise a little.  I have
two or three "car guys" in  there already, and they are enjoying comparing
and contrasting 1939 technology with their own personal vehicles.  So we'll
make do and hopefully they'll learn something too.

Thanks everybody for the advice.  If things come together we MIGHT have the
engine in a stand by Friday....

Al