[AT] fuel problems get expensive - perspectives and reactions

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Wed Jun 30 17:49:50 PDT 2010

Cecil, I understand what you are going through. The John Deere I just bought
has a similar High-Pressure fuel system and it has multiple sensors to
determine if there is any water there to cause any problem at all. The issue
I see is these modern high pressure systems. Any fuel tank can sweat some
water into the diesel, but I personally think the plastic tanks migh be more
prone to it especially if they have a crack.
     In the case of the John Deere design, I have heard they have far more
problems from false readings on the sensors than actual water in the fuel. I
believe it based on many factors....
     The primary filters on the John Deere I have and also the NH6610S (the
7610 is the predecessor to the TS110 and is just a turbocharged 6610S) are
anything but just a sediment bowl, but both DO have a bowl to drain off
moisture intentionally. The "low" pressure injection systems common in older
diesel engines such as the Detroit in our HD5, the Oliver Diesels, the
Caterpillar Diesels are all not prone to the same level of damage, but DO
have the ability to be destroyed eventually by water in the system. The
electronics are the real bane of all of the new equipment even though they
do give some pretty cool features....
            Grant Brians
            Hollister,California
p.s. I was on a business trip this last week in New Mexico and saw some
beautiful country, visited some interesting ag areas and was impressed by
how terribly we control useless ag and wildland destroying development
sprawl all over this country!