[Farmall] Replacing the gas tank

Tim Savelle tim.savelle at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 09:23:56 PDT 2010

I'm about to replace the gas tank on my 1949 H.  Some moron who owned it in
the past put self tapping screws into the top of the tank, apparently to
mount something.  The person who restored it filled the holes with bond-o
and painted over them.  Of course, the gas fumes disintegrated the bond-o,
and now I have massive paint blisters over the places where the holes are.
 I just decided to get a tank off a parts tractor and replace it rather than
attempting to have this one fixed.

As far as changing out the tank...is there anything I need to know?  I don't
really see a good way to drain the gas out other than removing the bowl
assembly, which could spill gas all over the place.  Suggestions?

Also, is there any benefit to burning premium gas in the old gal?  Would she
run smoother or better?  Any problems it could cause?

Thanks,
Tim

--
"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it
over?" John Wooden, legendary college basketball coach.