[Farmall] Fwd: Super C

Dave Maynard dave at themaplehillfarm.com
Sun Jun 27 07:06:13 PDT 2010

    Feeling kind of stupid. Decided to give it another try and backed up
while trying to turn and pushing hard on the right brake. It popped right
free. It kept binding up however and noticed it more going downhill. It
turns out that at the u-joint somene had put a 1/4 20 bolt where it probably
should have a roll pin. the head of the bolt and the nut bind against the
other half of the u-joint. The hole in the u-joint is just a slot and this
allows the shaft to fall forward just enough to catch and not let it turn. I
think the hole in the shaft is worn and that is why the previous owner used
the bolt. The quick fix is going to be drilling a larger hole, using a
larger roll pin, and also put a shaft collar up top near the steering wheel
to keep it from dropping into the joint.* *I should have seen this, but for
the forest *and *the trees. Nothing ever breaks or screws up until your
trying to get something done and have a limited amount of time.

   I guess I'm what they call around these parts a Kodak farmer[near
Rochester, NY and Kodak},which is when you work a full time job and *try *to
farm on the side. In my case it is all with old Farmalls.

    1951 H wide front
    1950 Cub
    1952 Super C wide front
    1967 656
    1972 Lowboy
    1947 Cletrac AG6H bulldozer[not Farmall but still cool]

    My boys have the bug to;

Jr.  1947 H
      1947 BN

Mike 1947 TD6

     Thanks to all who read this forum and all the good advice that I read
all the time. Will get pictures up on a site as soon as my computer
gooroo[Mike] sets me up.Thanks again and remember;

    *NEVER *park your Farmalls in one place or where your wife can count
them.You'll be safer that way.

   Dave