[AT] Good Karma?

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sat Jun 26 00:48:06 PDT 2010

Power Steering did not become available as an option on the first numbered series JD tractors until
late in the 1954 60 model year at serial # 6037000 which probably was around mid 1954 calendar year.
The 60 O wasn't introduced until the 1954 model year, late 1953 calendar year, even though the first
60's were 1952 model year tractors. So there were not a whole lot of 60 O's made before the
announcement and production of the "Power Steering" option. Production of the non Orchard 60
tractors ended in May 1956 but the 60 O was continued until February of 1957. Even though the 20
series tractors were announced and went into production in the fall of 1956 the 620 O didn't become
available until May of 1957 and continued until February 1960. In fact the last 620 tractor shipped
February 1, 1960 was an "all-fuel" Orchard # 6223247.

A 60 orchard sold for $2750 plus selected options. The Power steering option was priced at $125.00.
The 620 Orchard sold for $3228 with Power steering still an option at $125. Many of the specialty
tractors were purchased for farm hands use rather than the owner so were quite often ordered w/o
many or any of the comfort options.

There were a total of 872 60 Orchards made and only 427 620 Orchards. So 60 and especially 620
Orchard tractors are quite valuable collector tractors.  JD archive records, now maintained by Two
Cylinder Magazine, would be able to research how many did or did not have Power Steering.

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA 98290

Confidence is the feeling you have before you completely understand the situation!